The Liebster Award
I’ll be honest, I’m a bit shocked right now. I’m in so many blogging groups on Facebook and have always seen people posting about getting nominated for the “Liebster Award.” They’d follow it up with “drop the link to your blog in the comments so I can pick 5 to nominate.” I never dropped my link and yet Danielle from This Mayberry Life reached out an asked if I’d accept her nomination, which I gladly did!
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is a way for bloggers to both network and connect, as well as be discovered by new readership! The award is given to blogs with less than 200 followers. While there is no real “winner,” everyone who is nominated wins because of the great exposure they get!
Thanks to Danielle at This Mayberry Life.
Naturally, I was thrilled to be nominated by Danielle at This Mayberry Life. Danielle provides great advice from families from budgeting to ways to establish effective nighttime routines for kids! Especially if you have a family of your own, make sure to check out her blog and give her a follow!
Now the fun stuff…
Being awarded the Liebster Award means I get to talk about some fun stuff that I might not always, including questions from Danielle, and drop my new nominations to deserving blogs so you guys can check them out! Let’s dive into the fun stuff now.
My Favorite Blog
I am obsessed with the Everygirl blog. Curated by a team of bloggers, the Everygirl hits on every topic that I seem to think about in my life—from styling fall fashions to career advice to all the home goals. As a super well established blog, they’re also one I look to for what I like in a blog and how to incorporate new techniques and topics to make my blog better!
Ten Random Facts About Me
I love these things so get ready for some good ones…
- Both of my earrings were ripped out (on separate occasions) in the 2nd grade.
- I worked at Walt Disney World for 10 months through their Disney College Program internship. It was hands down one of the best experiences in my life.
- I hate elevators with a passion. When I ride them I have to be closest to the door.
- I am a huge nerd and love to watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every night. I also do a sudoku puzzle every morning from the newspaper.
- I follow a gluten free diet, not by choice, but because I was so sick as a freshman in college I had basically stopped eating.
- If I could eat anything for the rest of my life it would be Reese’s Cups and brie cheese. I’m a sucker for them both.
- My worst childhood memory is the day I was supposed to go see Jack Hanna and his animals at Busch Gardens. All I had to do was get on the bus without a fuss and I could go. Instead I got in the bus, turned around, and started banging on the door and crying.
- Mary Poppins is my favorite Disney movie and “At Last I See the Light” from Tangled makes me bawl like a baby.
- I prefer pen and paper to technology. Most of my blog posts start out as journal entries in my Moleskine notebooks.
- My favorite course that I took in college was a Zen Buddhism class that met at the local jail. I had class with 30 residents in for crimes ranging from theft to possession and 12 students from my university.
Questions I received from Danielle
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done? The most extreme thing I’ve probably done would be travel to India for five weeks and take the most terrifying bus ride into the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains. A landslide happened directly in front of our bus and so we ended up sleeping for a fair portion of the night on the bus, on the side of the mountain.
- What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why? Most of my favorite posts right now are from my “Broke Girl’s Guide” series about weddings. I love this series because I get to share some awesome moments of life with my readers, plus I also get to give my advice on the “right” way to do weddings! I hate all the formalities that go along with weddings so I love the ability to provide my own spin on things!
- If you could ask one person one question, what would it be and who would you ask? I would LOVE to sit down with Ernest Hemingway in Key West, FL at Sloppy Joe’s and ask him about his writing process. I love his writing and would relish in the opportunity to glean from his knowledge about writing.
- Who inspires you to be a better person? Honestly, my boyfriend does. He is constantly encouraging me to pursue my dreams and desires. All the love that he pours into me really inspires me to better myself.
- How did your blogging experience get started? My blog got started out of my time of unemployment. After my internship with the Walt Disney Company ended I hadn’t lined a job up back home and was bored. I’ve always mulled the idea of a blog around in my head, but never committed to it for one reason or another, mainly because I thought I would fail. Thanks to the support of my little brother and my boyfriend, I launched Reality According to Rachel minutes before I stepped on a plane to fly to India!
- What is your favorite quote? “Don’t you know that everbody’s got a fairytale of their own?” I just love this quote because it encourages me not to compare myself to others, but live my own life because it is uniquely mine!
- What is one life lesson you will never forget? I’ll never forget to trust my heart after I decided on the last day applications were being accepted to transfer universities. I was so unhappy where I was at, but I felt like I would be letting so many people down if I transferred. Instead, I ended up at a great college in a wonderful city that provided me with so many unique opportunities (I mean I took a class in jail, y’all) and I met my best friends there too. Transferring was the best decision, even though it seemed like a snap one at the time.
- Who/what blog would you love to write a guest post for? I’d love to post for blogs that target girls in their teens. I feel like I have a wealth of knowledge and advice that I could give to younger girls and I’d love the opportunity to do so!
- What advice would you give to a new blogger? Don’t give up. Success is determined by you, not the number of followers or likes you have. The process is slow so don’t give up if you don’t feel successful immediately.
- What makes you laugh out loud? Everything. I love to find ways to laugh every day. Most recently, it’s been my dog. For instance, I came downstairs the other night to find her sleeping on the couch underneath of her bed and blanket. I couldn’t imagine why that was comfortable or how she managed to get there in the first place!
Here they are, the blogs I’ve nominated for the Liebster Award!
My questions for the nominees
- Who would you want as a dinner guest and why?
- What place is highest on your travel bucket list?
- Who is your go-to musical artist or band and why?
- What is the best book you have ever read?
- What’s the dumbest thing you’ve done that actually turned out well?
- If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
- Where did your blogging journey start?
- What has been your biggest lesson in blogging?
- What quote inspires you most?
- What’s the title of your current chapter in life?
The Official Rules of the Liebster Award
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
- For the 2017 Liebster Award, I will be shaking things up! Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This is optional, but if you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about yourself.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply include the link below to the official rules website.)
- Select 11 questions for the individuals/blogs you nominated.
- Inform the people/blogs that you selected of their nomination for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
Here’s some more information if you’re interested!